No matter how it happened, if you have had criminal charges being brought against you, it is a serious matter. This report was designed to help provide general information and background about the criminal legal process in Virginia. More specifically, in this report you will learn:
- The difference between the misdemeanors and felonies
- The different crime classifications
- The special way juvenile charges are handled
- Virginia’s statutes of limitations
- Types of courts in Virginia
The court system in Virginia can be confusing and difficult to navigate. The steps that you take after being charged with a crime can determine the associated punishment and may even affect the outcome of a conviction.