It’s a Saturday night and your teenage daughter is at the AMC Tysons Corner movie theater or the Fairfax Court Shopping Center with her friends. You believe she’s having an innocent and fun time, but the truth is, she’s drinking alcohol with her friends.
You might not think underage drinking is a huge deal; after all, you probably engaged in it yourself. This activity becomes a major issue, however, when intoxicated teens get behind the wheel. In fact, nearly one-third of all drunk driving deaths happen to people between the ages of 16 and 20.
The Other Dangers of Underage Drinking
Receiving a DUI charge or getting into a dangerous or even fatal accident isn’t the only problem underage drinkers have to worry about—a variety of potential problems exist. The following are just a few examples:
- Violence. Those who are intoxicated are prone to becoming involved in violent acts, or become the victims of violent crimes. Along with traffic crashes, homicide, suicide, and aggravated assault rates are high for teen drinkers.
- Pregnancy and health issues for the baby. High numbers of teen pregnancies occur because of alcohol. Additionally, fetal alcohol syndrome occurs frequently because of teenage drinking, and in 2010, cost the state of Virginia $24.5 million.
- Crimes. Intoxicated teenagers are prone to engaging in criminal activity, such as theft and destruction of property.
If you’re still not convinced that teen drinking is a problem, consider these shocking statistics:
- About 10.8 million underage drinkers exist in the United States.
- One in six teenagers is a binge drinker.
- Only one in one-hundred parents believe their teenagers binge drink.
The Easley Law Firm Can Help
If your teenager received a DUI on I-295, I-495, or any other road in Fairfax, the attorneys of the Easley Law Firm can help. Contact us today to find out how we can help your child and your family get past this difficult time.